Saturday, June 3, 2017

Rescuing an Older Canine

Older dogs often are looked over in shelters and too many are losing what's left of a good life to euthanizing. This author committed to giving one elder dog a place of his own.




Simon’s Freedom Ride


Simon was a rescue pictured on a Facebook post in January. His Maltese fur was so long he looked like a small sheepdog. He was found as a stray and admitted to a local high kill shelter. I knew I had to do something. The minute I saw him, I knew he’d come home to live with me and my Terrier-Chihuahua mix, Tulip.


I made arrangements with a local rescue group to pull him and soon brought him home. He was taken into safety minutes after he was to be put to sleep. We had pulled a hero move to give this fur baby a chance to live a little while longer.


He blended well with our critter family and we made him feel loved and cared for. Soon, he began to make his place in our hearts. He and Tulip quickly bonded and best friends were made. I had been thinking of adopting another dog for a companion to my girl dog for sometime. Animals need another of their kind to communicate with.


My two tabby cats loved him. They would rub against him when they came in just to tell him hello in their way.




New Pals


Simon’s New Life


Adapting to a home with two dogs was easy. We all bonded well and soon a routine was built for the canine pair. Simon began to show his personality and gift us occasional tricks he knew. When a favorite snack was prepared, Simon would sit on both legs and roll his front paws over each other in an adorable begging act. He’d cry I wasn't moving fast enough. Poor baby didn't know he didn't have to wait long.


I was at these creatures beck and call if they needed or wanted anything. I gave them what they missed in their old life. Dignity and respect, care and attention was theirs for the taking. That’s all any dog deserves.




Bath Time


Vet Visit


Simon needed to be seen by a vet soon after he was brought home. It was known he had an ear infection and a heart murmur. Our pet doctor diagnosed him with a foot fungus and nausea, too. His habit of licking his feet were because his paws were inflamed from this uncomfortable condition. His murmur was confirmed and we were given medication for his symptoms and instructions on treating the little guy. Other than these mild issues, Simon was relatively healthy.




Office Visit


A Comfortable Dog and Home


In time, Simon learned that he’d get backrubs if he lay on my left side while I was watching TV shows on the couch. He demanded this attention after a while by crying in a pick me up and pet me sort of way. The dog loved being by my side and asserted his requests clearly. He lay patiently in the crook of my arm until he’d had enough then he would change positions for sleep. If I quit too soon, he would paw at my arm until I continued his therapy. He was a bossy little fur ball.




Simon Looking for Attention


He would put Tulip on the spot when ever he was working on a chewy treat. He knew she’d steal it if given the chance so he made his voice known with a “don't mess with me” snarly bark. She learned to steer clear of him when he was thus occupied, but she would still lurk close by. He was a strong willed spirit and we respected his space for it. Hed actually steal her treats if she looked the other way. This was a bold dog.



Simon’s Teddy Bear Face


Playtime was difficult for this small dog. I think his eyesight was minimal so he couldn't chase balls or retrieve items like other dogs do. When Tulip would play fight with me it upset him and he’d snarf bark at us and tell us to quit. He barked often at her, me, and just to make his presence known. He was an extremely vocal dog and he liked to talk in his squeaky dog voice.

He loved a small, bright yellow ball. He couldn't play ball like a normal dog. It was more of a hide and seek game. I would show him the ball, drop it at his feet where he would nuzzle it playfully then scoot it to the rear crevice in the couch. There he would roll over and dig at it until I fetched it out for him and started his game over. If I threw the ball, Tulip would have it in her possession before Simon could make it across the room so we stuck with this game so he could play his way. His teddy bear face would light up in this activity. He was so cute with the black button eyes and snaggletooth grin. He only had his right lower fang and a few teeth left.


Time Out with Dogs


Early March was the perfect time to do some camping. I loaded up the car with gear, supplies and dogs and off we went to enjoy the natural beauty of Southern Nevada. Our destination was Valley of Fire, but we were forced to make camp at Lake Mead because the campground was full. The campground was just right for a test run and we soon adapted to our beautiful surroundings. Both dogs gave me a funny look when we got home when I gave them dog food. I had fed them camp fare during the excursion. I could almost swear they asked where is the bacon...?


Our First Road Trip and Camp Out


A Turn of Fate


In the early days of May 2017, Simon experienced a small seizure when I came home from work. His small body stiffened and he rolled to his side. I thought he was dying, but he pulled back to himself in a few minutes and was soon trailing me around the house like normal. He was my little furry white shadow every minute I was home. This situation scared me and it was cause for another vet’s appointment. We were given another medication and told to have him checked again a month later.


We adapted to medication time twice a day. I’d pack the medicine in small pieces of meat or cheese and both dogs would get a treat. This helped Simon ingest his meds properly and without distress and help Tulip get her share of the treat food. This went on a few weeks until the seizures became more frequent. The last few days before we lost him, Simon had three each day and the intensity was bad. These are only the ones I knew about. I began to think about having him relieved of his burden and pondered taking him to the vet for one final visit. Once these symptoms start, I believe they continually get worse, never better.


Sadly, June 2nd, Simon’s spirit left him and crossed the Rainbow Bridge while I was at work. His time had come. I'm sad we only knew him a short time, but he will never be forgotten. The event pierced my heart, but I am glad I got to know him and give him a chance at the love he deserved and the home he could call his.


Please, rescue those that may not have a chance at a home otherwise. Be patient with them. Be kind to them. Let them give you the love they have and show them the love they deserve. They are little angels sent to comfort and delight us. Adopt don’t shop!!




Farewell Sweet Spirit



posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment