Saturday, August 20, 2016

The Emotional Cost of a Lost Pet

Our pets are our family. They are our little friends, our companions. They are there for us when no one else is and we care for them deeply. The creature we hold dear to our hearts is such a part of our lives that it is a devastating event when we lose them. Not knowing what happened is the worst part of an animal disappearing. My biggest fear is they are going to get run over by a car or something. 

Locating a Missing Pet

Cat's listing on animal shelter website
Shelter page with Cashmere's listing
I just went through a brief episode of a lost cat and it was a heart wrenching few days. My cat's brother was with me in the search and seeking of said cat. He looked in the areas around our house, but I had a feeling the cat was nowhere close and called him back inside. We did a quick search of the area but did not find him.

I was prompted by a friend to look on the animal shelter's website. There he was on page three. This picture reminds me of a feline mug shot. He looked really confused and a bit upset, but I was joyful. My beloved cat friend was at least somewhere he could be retrieved. I made plans to go get him as soon as the shelter opened. How lucky I am that he was somewhere safe.



The shelter gave inoculated him, chipped him, and trimmed his left ear. The ear trimming indicates that he has been neutered and is registered in a database. I was a bit upset with the ear thing, but jubilant my cat was found and accessible.

The cats no longer get outdoor privileges. I can't imagine what my Cashmere went through. Think about how he must have felt being captured, stuck in a cage, transported to a facility by strangers, and then poked and prodded by strangers. It has affected him deeply. My other cat begs to go outside, but Cazh is ok being an indoor cat now. He understands what can happen if he gets out again. I am very thankful I was able to find him.

It is better this way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment